Is Kat Stacks the Creepiest Twitter Trend Ever?
- Three major signs of the rising globalization of Twitter: South Korean boy band Super Junior's surge (once again) to the No. 1 spot; the huge number of tweets about European soccer (football) stars/teams/matches; and the prominent presence of the Eurovision Song Contest, a European obsession that never seems to garner much media coverage or mindshare in the U.S.
- Look closely at why Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber trended this week, and you'll see that non-U.S. fans -- particularly in Brazil -- gave both a big boost.
- The hip-hop take-over of Twitter continues, with perhaps the creepiest social-media-created celebrity brand ever, Kat Stacks, taking the No. 10 spot on our list. Stacks, for the uninitiated, is a hip-hop groupie who uses social media to detail her alleged conquests. Her Twitter stream is so x-rated I'm not even going to link to it, and you can find videos on YouTube with titles like "Kat Stacks Speaking on Sleeping With Lil Wayne, Nelly, Bow Wow and Entire Young Money!" (Bow Wow, for one, has denied even knowing her, let alone having sex with her.) Why did she blow up so big this week? Per the What the Trend crowdsourced explanation: "because a video that shows several men slapping & pushing her around is circulating on the Internet" -- those men allegedly being associated with one or more rappers Ms. Stacks has badmouthed. Here, I'll refer you to BET's latest brief take on the controversy, posted this morning.
- It's perhaps worth noting that one of the big Twitter memes this week was #ihatewomenwho -- a sometimes tongue-in-cheek, sometimes rather nasty, hashtag trend that is also closely tied to the hip-hop community. It's bewildering to me that Twitter seems to have recently tweaked its algorithm specifically to reduce the apparent dominance of G-rated pop star Justin Bieber (who used to always hold the No. 1 spot on our chart each week), but is doing nothing to discourage the rising tide of misogyny and vulgarity in its Trending Topics.
(What the Trend Pro, the service I use to create this charticle, offers an in-depth look at hundreds of trends each week.)
How is this chart made? See Notes, below.
|Trend||Peak Position This Week||Points||Crowdsourced Description|
|1||Super Junior||1||5,296||BONAMANA is the new single from Korean boy band Super Junior.
This song was released on May 10. Their fans, E.L.F (everlasting
friends), are celebrating their comeback.
Subtrends include: BONAMANA, #everlastingfriends, Poor Donghae, #bonamana2ndwin, #getwellsoonkyuhyun, #protectsuperjunior, 4th Anniversary, JUNIOR WON, Music Core, ELFs, Antis
|2||MLB||1||3,498||Tweets about various teams, players and games.
Subtrends include: Jim Joyce, Armando Galarraga, Perfect Game, Ken Griffey, Galarraga, Gallaraga, Umpire Jim Joyce, Balk, Bud Selig, Griffey, Kubel, Umpire, Ubaldo, Kendry, Dodgers, Halladay perfect game, Umps, Matt Kemp
|3||Gary Coleman||1||3,105||Actor Gary Coleman has died at age 42, after being hospitalized
following brain hemorrhage.
Subtrends include: Gary Coleman died, #ripgarycoleman, Gary Coleman, Gary Coleman passed, Gary Colemen, Coleman died, #garycoleman, Arnold morreu, Brain Hemorrhage, Coleman passed, Did Gary, Coleman morreu, Gary Coleman morreu, Gary Coleman passed away, Different Strokes, Coleman dead, Todd Bridges, Bout Willis, Whatchoo talkin
|4||Eurovision||1||2,937||The Eurovision Song Contest is an annual music-competition in
Europe (29th May in Oslo, Norway).
Subtrends include: Eurovision, #sbseurovision, #esc2010, Sieneke, Lena hat gewonnen, Eurovision Song Contest, #eurovison, Uribarri, Diges, Songcontest, Eurovision Song, Apricot Stone, Jessy Matador, Armenien, Eurovision Songcontest, Didrik, Safura, Lena, #eurovision, Madcon, Songfestival, Sind Lena, Herzegovina
|5||Justin Bieber||1||2,757||Justin Bieber released his newest music video, "Never Say
Never" featuring Karate Kids' Jaden Smith, for the the new 'Karate
Kid' movie. Brazillian Justin Bieber fans want him to come on tour
to their country. Beliebers found a way around Bieber not being
able to trend.
Subtrends include: #neversaynever, Brazil_BustinJieber, #thankyoujustin, #happybdayjazzy, BrazilWaitsForBustinJieber, Brazil_NeverSayNever, UK_Bustin, ComeToBrazilJieber BR_NeverSayNever, Never Say Never, JBBrazil_NeverSayNever JieberIntoBRHearts, Eenie Meenie, ComeToBrazilBieber_NeverSayNever, Jaden Smith, NEVERcomeToBrazilJustinBieber, Say Never, BrazilNeedsBustinJieber, ComeToBrazilJieber, Another Hint
|6||Soccer/Football (various sports brands)||1||2,344||Tweets about various teams, players and games.
Subtrends include: Bofo, Zimb�bue, Michel Bastos, Aguirre, Ombrinho Ombrinho, Ch'charo, Porcus, Cannavaro, Neymar, Torres Nilo, Tello, Gano Mexico, Ar�bia Saudita, Gambia, Venado, Walcott, Elano, Porcus Tristes, Saudita, Fransa, Arema, Chicharito, Fossati, Andrezinho, Equidad, Chourio, Brasil 2x0, Gochos, Another Own Goal, Ledley, Sneijder, Brasil 3x0, Amistoso, Own Goals, 2x0, Bruno C?sar, Baines, Darren Bent, Cichero, Millwall, Niebla, Platini
|7||Lady GaGa||1||2,199||Lady RodriGaga is a Brazilian TV host (Rodrigo Faro) who was
dressed like @ladygaga for his show. Fans are excited for the
release of Lady Gaga's "Alejandro" music video. Lady Gaga's grandpa
is in the hospital and gaga fans are wishing him to get well.
Subtrends include: Lady RodriGaga, #AlejandroVideo, #gagalive, Faro dan�ando Lady Gaga, #HowAreYouGaga, #getwellgrandpagaga, #RIPlilmonster, RodriGaga
|8||Sex & the City 2 (Movie)||4||2,037||Tweets about the second Sex and the City movie.
Subtrends include: SATC2
|9||NBA||1||1,933||Tweets about various teams, players and games.
Subtrends include: #nawimstraight, #teamceltics, Alvin Gentry, Lakers won, Queensbridge, Artest, Dragic, NBA Finals, Craig Sager, Magics, Vujacic, Say Queensbridge, Sager, Jason Richardson, Eastern Conference Champs, Nate Rob , J-Rich, Steve Nash, Nate Robinson, Western Conference Champs, Say Queens Bridge, Rondo, Fouls, Suns, Jameer, Conference Champions, Celtics won, Vince Carter, Lakers-Celtics, Artest got, Paul Pierce, Sir Paul, Gundy, Dwight Howard, Garnett, Suns Lost, Celtics fans
|10||Kat Stacks||4||1,701||Kat Stacks is a hip-hop groupie who has blogged about her sexual exploits with some rappers, at times in unflattering terms. She is trending now because of a video that shows several men slapping & pushing her around is circulating on the Internet.|
1. WTT tracks the appearance of topics on the Twitter Trending Topics list and each week ranks the brands (broadly defined to include marketers, products and celebrity/entertainment brands) with the most cumulative staying power. Explanations of trends are solicited from WTT users, Wikipedia-style; a community-voting system is designed to highlight the best explanations while burying lame or prank explanations.
2. For the purposes of this chart, we collect and process data until 12 midnight EST on Thursday night before each Friday's publication.
3. We broadly define "brands" to include major marketers (e.g., Apple) and branded products (e.g., iPad), as well as celebrity and entertainment brands (e.g., Lady GaGa, American Idol). Ad Age works with WTT to consolidate multiple threads of brand chatter (e.g., Apple, iPad, iTampon, Apple Tablet) into one position on the chart when it's clear related Twitter conversations are basically all about the same topic, even if they use different keywords.
4. In WTT's proprietary trend-tracking system, points are awarded for both duration and rank in the top 10 trending topics on Twitter. The longer the duration, and the higher the overall rank, the more points are awarded. Measurements are taken in five-minute increments.
5. The crowdsourced trend explanations above are quoted as they appear on WTT, and therefore may have stylistic and grammatical quirks that don't adhere to normal Ad Age editorial standards.
For more information about What the Trend, visit the WTT FAQ. And check out WTT's Week in Review, compiled by its in-house editors and covering an expanded general list of Top 20 trends (including hashtag trends) here.
Simon Dumenco is the "Media Guy" media columnist for Advertising Age. You can follow him on Twitter @simondumenco.